Listen to Live Dispatch
From the Sussex County
Emergency Operations
Center
Emergency
Dial 9-1-1
Memorial Fire Company
Station 89
359 Bay Ave.
Milford, DE 19963

Phone: 302-422-8888
Fax: 302-422-5944
Company History

The Company (continued)

The La France and GMC were stripped, sanded, and painted by Pop Sleva, Dick Caldwell, and Ervin Hall. Jack Kunkle, the Milford High School Art teacher, donated his time and talent to letter the trucks.

In 1961, after the purchase of a new 1961 Ford/American La France pumper the 1927 La France was sold to Tommy Harrington and driven to Ocean City, Maryland to wash in pilings. Upon completion of this project the truck was sold and cut up for scrap metal.

From late 1956 until fall of 1958, the fire company experienced a period of inactivity. In September 1958, Edward Evans of Milford convened a meeting at this summer cottage for the purpose of reestablishing and reincorporating the Memorial Volunteer Fire Company. Some of the members present were Pete Manlove, Jr. Hitchens, Dick Caldwell, Herman Sharp Jr., Connie Fassel, Howard Hitchens, Rich Shockley, and Bob Sleva. The name “Memorial Volunteer Fire Company” was to become the official name of the organization to honor all veterans of WWII fought by the United States of America. This name was accepted and remains the official department name today. The name Memorial is also in memory of Howard Wilkins and Hozemuller of the Carlisle Fire Company, who assisted with fire protection at Slaughter Beach prior to their deaths in the service of their country.

When the reincorporating was complete the members decided to build a fire station in the incorporated limits of the town of Slaughter Beach. Mr. Warren Newton from Bridgeville wanted to build a home on the south end of the beach which would encroach on one of the town streets. In exchange for footage on his property Mr. Newton deeded a beach front lot to the town of Slaughter Beach, where the fire two bays of the fire house now stand erected. The town of Slaughter beach deeded this lot to the fire company for the purpose of erecting a fire station. Mr. George Draper offered to deed the fire company a lot approximately one quarter mile west of Bay Avenue on Sussex route 224, where he owned a hotel, in exchange for the beach front lot. The fire company elected to build at the present location and in recent years has purchased Mr. Draper’s original lot and surrounding property which is known as “Fireman’s Park”.


Displaying 3-3 of 7 History
< 1 ¦ 2 ¦ 3 ¦ 4 ¦ 5 ¦ 6 ¦ 7 >

May 27, 2024
Memorial Day
73o
Condition: Fair
Today's High: 74 Low: 60
Backstage Login Email Login